£700 - £800 per day
about 1 month ago
Sutton and Kingston councils are both undergoing a seismic shift in their approach to local government. They both have a focus on delivering ambitious, progressive and forward thinking programmes that deliver positive outcomes for their communities and places. Both councils have come together to create an ambitious and forward-looking shared service that covers Regulatory Services and Highways & Transport functions.
With a focus on delivering high quality frontline services, this innovative partnership plays its role in creating sustainable communities, contributing to a high quality environment and diverse transport network that can be enjoyed by all. We have ambitious plans for our shared services and are well on our way to creating dynamic and innovative services that can respond effectively to the future challenges we face in terms of new policies, increasing demands for our services, and financial pressures.
Based in the service, shared by both Kingston and Sutton councils, the Assistant Director for Highways, Transport and Regulatory Services is an exciting and unique role needed to turn the strategic plans and programmes of both areas into reality. The service delivers a range of operational highways and transport functions, and a variety of regulatory services such as environmental enforcement and environmental health. It has a revenue budget of circa £5m, and a capital budget that averages £15m per year.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a new groundbreaking approach which is sharing services and working in partnership across two London boroughs.
Main Responsibilities of the role
- Provide strategic leadership to the service area, fostering its key role in enabling the respective councils to achieves their strategic outcomes ? Working with the Chief Executives and Directors to develop and deliver community outcomes
- Lead and direct the delivery of an efficient and cost effective service
- To maintain and develop the public highways asset in Kingston and Sutton, directing improvements in terms of safety, condition, operation and congestion reduction to ensure safe and efficient.
- Adopt a leadership approach that creates a culture of confidence, achievement, trust, support and constructive working relationships within the teams, across the organisations, with members and with partners who include partners. ? Act as the Councils' principal advisor in relation to these service areas, developing effective working relations with members to translate policy into practical delivery
- Provide leadership to create a progressive, cohesive and coherent impact within the councils
- Acts as a catalyst for others to generate innovative thinking and approaches for the services to deliver expected outcomes
- Take an agile, flexible and commercial focus to service de-maximising the use of digital technology, making the best use of resources and providing value for money
- Acts as a role model for the equality and diversity agendas
- Commits to the wellbeing of staff and actively promotes Health and Safety
- The role will involve carrying out work outside usual office hours and will require flexibility in working location including across the two boroughs of Sutton and Kingston
If you are interested in this role please send your updated CV in the first instance.