7 months ago
Learning Support Assistant - Chingford, Waltham Forest
We are looking for a Learning Support Assistant to join the team. Experience of supporting in class with a focus on high needs students would be advantageous. The role would be for a Primary or Secondary SEN school supporting students with severe PMLD needs.
To provide essential support to those students who would otherwise be disadvantaged by their learning difficulties and/or physical and/or emotional disabilities.
Role & Responsibilities:
- To assist the students, enabling maximum achievement in a safe environment.
- To take positive steps to get to know the individual strengths and weaknesses of the students who you support enabling them to learn more effectively.
- To be aware of students' target grades and adjust support as appropriate.
- To enter into a dialogue with each student about their progress and the actions needed to improve.
- To reinterpret material where necessary, to enable student access.
- To liaise with class teachers to provide the best support for the student.
- To modify teaching materials where necessary.
- To assist students in research and follow-up work as required, within examination board guidelines.
- To extend support to other students in the group who feel the need of some back-up and refer to Learning Support Department where appropriate.
- To assist students on a one-to-one basis in such aspects as study-skills, revision techniques, spelling and punctuation etc.
- To act as an amanuensis, reader or invigilator under internal and external exam conditions.
- To provide personal assistance in some cases when necessary.
- To be aware of named student's SEN, strategies for meeting the needs and specific targets/outcomes
- To contribute to reviews, planning and records on specific students.
- To encourage students to become independent learners through the use of assistive technology.
- To attend appropriate calendared meetings.
- To participate in professional development activities.
- Review with their line manager on an annual basis their responsibility and role within the area; setting and reviewing agreed targets on an annual basis / reflecting college objectives and curriculum targets / aims.
- To take part in college Quality Assurance procedures, such as course reviews.
- To participate in peer observation procedures.
- To implement the College's Strategic Plan in relation to Learning Support.
The role is starting immediately, full-time between the hours of 8:30-3:30