Kingston upon Thames, London
£400 - £450 per day
about 1 month ago
The Councils are focused on delivering the best possible outcomes for their communities. To do this we need staff who thrive in a networked organisation and who can provide strong leadership.
The Councils' technical infrastructure faces a time of change. As well as both modern and legacy on-premise infrastructure, we are increasingly changing how we work to encompass cloud technologies and collaborative working with public and private organisations and with our communities. That means that our Cloud and Platform team must possess the skills to manage the traditional infrastructure, as well as the ambition and mindset to embrace and explore new ways of working.
It is expected that team members will have one or more technical specialism and also a good generalist knowledge and troubleshooting ability across all infrastructure components. It is not expected that individuals will have every skill listed, but that they will each have a range that collectively provides enough depth and breadth to run prevailing and emerging Cloud and Platform services. The Cloud and Platform Manager and Leads will need to make sure that current technologies have enough breadth and depth of knowledge within the team. They will also build for the future by supporting and informing the Councils' Digital Strategy and recruit the specific skills needed. This will mean keeping the whole team current and flexible enough to adopt new approaches and maximise the value and opportunity that they offer.
The technology list will evolve over time, but as of April 2019 includes the following: Unix, Windows o/s, servers, Citrix and virtual desktop technologies (AppV, Xenapp, application packaging and sequencing), Google admin, backup/restore, storage, LAN/WAN, IoT, TCP/IP and other network protocols, network security, routing, network management tools, authentication (AD), database technologies (SQL, Oracle), Microsoft, cloud, datacentre management, telephony, mobility and integration technologies.
The role reports directly to one of the Cloud and Platform Leads and is responsible for providing support and management of the technology infrastructure. Its main purpose is to:
- Manage the Cloud and Platform environment and security on a day to day basis
- Fix or provide workarounds to infrastructure issues ensuring the fixes are documented to the appropriate level and remain within SLA
- Ensure standard fixes are documented and handed over to the Service Desk to improve first time fix ratio and therefore customer satisfaction
- Undertake proactive monitoring and maintenance of Cloud and Platform infrastructure
- Design and deploy changes and upgrades to the environment
- Create quality operational procedures for recoverability, availability, capacity and security management. Ensure they are documented and auditable in line with regulatory and business requirements
- Act as a technical specialist to solve known problems
- Carry out project work as part of virtual team across Digital & IT
- Develop technical recovery plans that contribute towards the Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery plans
- Act as the custodians of the production environment and ensure the quality of the environment through the strict use of the Release and Change Management processes
- Act as a point of escalation for technical queries from other teams in ICT
- Ensures that all documentation is written, maintained and executed to the highest standards and acts as a champion of the Quality Management System (QMS)
- Ensure the security of the ICT systems both physically and logically.
- Provide out of hours support for the Cloud and Platform services and infrastructure and may additionally be asked to join the formal Out of Hours support rota
- Work within the ITIL framework.
In order to successfully deliver the responsibilities of the role, you will need to:
- Question and challenge ways of working, with an understanding of the bigger picture in terms of the corporate context and external environment
- Demonstrate agility and adaptability in mindset and ways of working
- Work successfully with key stakeholders within and outside of the Council
- Demonstrate commitment to own personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the role
- Demonstrate innovation and creativity
- Actively engage in positive cross organisational communications and team working
- Communicate clearly, confidently and appropriately with colleagues using the best methods of communication for the task.
- Experience in the management of the processes, systems and functions in complex IT and cloud environments
- Demonstrable, in-depth understanding of IT Infrastructure (hardware, databases, operating systems, local area networks etc) and the IT applications and service processes used
- One or more technical specialisms that forms part of a balanced coverage of current and emerging Cloud and Platform technologies
- Experience in the purpose and composition of a service level agreement (SLA); the relationship between an SLA and a contract for the supply of services
- A track record of delivering excellent customer service
- A strong understanding of ITIL
If you are interested in this role please send your updated CV in the first instance.