£160 - £180 per day
20 days ago
Long term perm
Are you a primary teacher or SEN teacher with experience teaching children with autism, interested in teaching primary aged students with special needs?
We are currently recruiting for a qualified Primary SEN Teacher to work at a Special Needs Primary school in Southwark, teaching a range of Key Stage 2 classes of 8 students. The role is full time and will run at least until July 2021.
The role is teaching a range of primary classes or bubbles, from year 2 to year 6, planning and teaching scheduled lessons including PE, maths, English and ICT. They are working on a different model where a lesson could be taught a few times a week to a variety of classes in the Primary bubble which saves on planning time.
Most of the students at the school are working below their age level. The school has strategies in place regarding schemes of work and also behaviour. There are teaching assistants and speech and language therapists working alongside you to support student development.
Classes stay in form groups for the majority of subjects but are streamed according to ability for English, Maths and SLT (speech and language therapy).
The school uses attention autism and autism bucket therapy, helping students zone in and focus and use positive reinforcement as their preferred behaviour management technique.
The school itself is an Outstanding Ofsted rated SEN school with small class sizes (no larger than 8) with a TA present at all times, helping children with speech and language, and social and communication needs. Speech & Language therapy is delivered within the classroom settings in a collaborative way, with lots of support available. The school is very different to mainstream schools and is designed to meet the needs of the children, some of whom will have transferred from mainstream schools where their needs could not be met.
There are services offered to students by the school such as play therapy, speech and language therapy and an educational psychologist who will work collaboratively with you and other teachers, ensuring that pupils can engage in learning and reach their full potential. The school's ethos is to ensure children are able to build confidence, make progress with their learning, improve social skills and behaviour and when possible, return to mainstream school.
- QTS, qualified teacher status.
- Experience planning and teaching lessons to primary aged students following the National Curriculum.
- Experience with SEN, specifically autism, both verbal and non-verbal and other speech, language and communication needs.
- Experience supporting young people with special educational needs, specifically Social, emotional and mental health difficulties.
- Enthusiastic, resilient and positive approach.
- Must have legal right to work in the UK.
Benefits of working at the school:
- A vibrant team of experts, Speech & Language Therapists, Behaviour Analysts, Occupational Therapists and Specialist Teachers
- Highly invested in training staff
- Highly competitive annual salary
- Continuous professional and personal development
- The school is in South East London
Click 'Apply Now' to be considered for this great position as a SEN Primary Teacher in Southwark or for more information about the role, contact Carly Walters directly.