Waltham Forest, London
2 months ago
Post 19 SEN Teacher
- Post 19 Class
- SEN School
- Start, September 19
- Long Term Assignment
- Perm Sept '19
We are currently working with an SEN school in Waltham forest. They are currently looking to recruit a SEN teacher who is available to start in September to take a Post 19 Class. The position will be permanent for the right candidate.
The school supports primary, secondary and post-16 aged students, up to age 19, with Autism and complex learning needs. Many have speech and language difficulties, are non-verbal, and or have autism, developmental delay and medical needs with behaviour difficulties.
The leadership at this SEN school lead by example, assisting the committed staff and working as a team, ensuring students are sufficiently challenged and supported to achieve their full potential. The facilities at the school are excellent and help staff provide the best level of support to students.
Each classroom is led by the teacher and supported by numerous teaching/support assistants. A team of physiotherapists, speech and language and occupational therapists work alongside the teachers to guarantee that pupils' needs are met and that programs are reviewed and improved if necessary. There is a community feel to the school and they encourage parents and families to be fully involved in the school's events. the school benefits from some of the most modern and impressive facilities in London.
SEN Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, prepare and deliver a range of lessons and evaluate these activities to inform future learning. Develop programs in line with the National Curriculum and ensure we meet the diverse needs and interests of each student.
- Direct the teaching assistants assigned to the class and work in a supportive and collaborative manner as part of this small team.
- Work in close partnership with parents.
- Behave in a warm and friendly, yet professional manner towards colleagues, children and parents.
Qualifications and Experience
- 2+ years' experience teaching students aged 16-19 with special and/or additional needs.
- Teacher Qualification - QTS/QTLS or equivalent.
- Taught low level literacy and numeracy skills to students with special needs.
Skills and Personal Attributes
- Have a good understanding of best practice for children with special needs
- Ability to develop and deliver effective programs for the pupils and be responsive to their needs
- Warm and caring personality - friendly and approachable to families, staff and children.
- Highly motivated, reliable and commitment to high standards.