Up to £500 per day
27 days ago
Croydon Council has a Microsoft Azure hosted Business Intelligence Platform using the following services: Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Lake and Azure SQL database with Power BI for visualisation, insight and analytics.
The BI team are focused on increasing the number of corporate datasets to provide self-service BI to our analytical and report users therefore embedding the use of BI throughout the organisation.
Due to increased demand, we are looking to supplement the BI Team with an additional BI Developer to work alongside the existing BI Developers, BI Data Engineer and BI Strategic Lead.
The BI Developer will bring end to end BI experience to support the Council with the continued development and growth of the existing BI platform and the use of Microsoft Power BI. Particularly focused on Housing data sets and systems.
You will have proficient technical skills including excellent knowledge of Power BI and Azure BI technologies including Azure SQL, as well as tabular data modelling.
Determine, design and implement the most effective reporting and data analytical solutions to deliver projects and outputs for the Housing Directorate.
Store data in the Azure Data Lake and transform data via Azure SQL database.
Consider how best to model data from disparate systems in line with agreed standards.
Understand and translate business needs into data models, working closely with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for the Housing Directorate and Croydon Digital Services (CDS).
Understanding the structure of data in both source/line of business systems and the Business Intelligence Platform.
Design, document and implement logical and physical data models.
Develop innovative reports, data visualisations and dashboards, which meet the business needs, using Microsoft Power BI
Champion the use of Business Intelligence across the Council.
Skills and experience
At least 5 years' experience as a Business Intelligence Developer. Bringing expertise and knowledge that includes, but not limited to the following:
- Excellent knowledge of delivering projects within a Microsoft Business Intelligence technical environment
- Excellent knowledge of how to build new data sets and structures within the Azure BI environment
- Experience working with large, disparate data sets
- Strong data modelling experience
- Strong knowledge of Data Warehousing methodologies
- Knowledge of project management methodologies, Agile/Scrum experience desirable
- Business analysis experience, including gathering requirements/user stories and conversion into technical specification for development
- Previous experience of working within Local or Central Government is highly desirable, but not essential
Essential experience of the following specific technologies:
- Azure Cloud technologies
- Microsoft Power BI
- Azure Analysis Services (Tabular Model) - Design, Develop, Deploy and Maintain
- Azure SQL Server/Microsoft SQL 2008 - 2016
- Relational Database
- Advanced TSQL - (Dynamic Views, Stored Procedures, Functions etc.)
- PowerShell scripting
- Dimensional modelling experience
- Query Performance Tuning
- A proven ability to develop clear understandings of clients' needs and the ability to incorporate these into a solution
- Knowledge of project management techniques and methodologies.
- Ability to contribute to project delivery, providing input into planning, issue escalation and resolution
- Effective management of conflicting priorities
- Strong communication skills
- Problem solving
- Good stakeholder management
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to present technical concepts to non-technical audiences
If you are interested in this role please send your updated CV in the first instance.