£350 - £351 per day
Ben - SBS_1641811626
16 days ago
Senior Building Surveyor
Overall Purpose of Job
To be responsible for a professional housing surveying service, all technical aspects of the repair, maintenance, improvement and re-servicing of all council owned, managed and leased stock in accordance with Newham Council's policies and procedures. Providing an effective responsive repair and planned maintenance service for the organisation; and to manage a specific specialist team of surveyors and support staff for the Asset Management Group.
To lead specifically but not exclusively on the management of Fire Safety in relation to all Housing Blocks and Properties.
Key Tasks and Accountability's:
Key tasks and accountability's are intended to be a guide to the range and level of work expected of the post holder. This is not an exhaustive list of all tasks that may fall to the post holder and employees will be expected to carry out such other reasonable duties which may be required from time to time.
- To deputise as required in the absence of the Works Commissioning Manager.
- To routinely monitor and review the economy, efficiency, effectiveness and quality of current services across the Asset Management Group, developing new approaches to the challenges presented and implementing improvements that are in line with overriding strategic objectives, aims and targets, setting standards for the London Borough of Newham that result in continuous service improvement.
- To ensure an efficient and effective technical support service for the Asset Management Group, covering specialist services with Fire Safety as the main focus of activity.
- To manage the development of collaborative working with chosen contractors and strategic alliance partners, co-ordinating and integrating essential activities such as supply chain management, specification development, and consultation with residents. To develop project specific briefs to ensure all projects meet Newham Council's' objectives and comply with the contractual terms of any agreement to ensure best value in cost, performance, quality and future maintenance
- To ensure a programme of Health & Safety inspections is undertaken, including evaluating findings and ensuring any works necessary are carried out.
- To monitor and manage all aspects of Fire Safety within the borough. To liaise with legal representatives and maintain dialogue with other departments, and represent the organisation in litigation.
- To convene, chair project team meetings in accordance with agreed project programmes and to monitor, record and report all aspects of project progress and to respond to questions from residents, members and LVT.
- To ensure that all works are supervised and undertaken in accordance with contract specifications, London Borough of Newham's procedures and Health & Safety (including gas safety) Regulations.
- To produce contract documentation for invitations to tender, examine tenders and recommend contractors for appointment, using expert knowledge.
- To assist where necessary in the procurement of consultancy services and to act as client in relation to technical consultants employed in managing specific projects.
- To monitor and manage the Fire Safety service as a whole, to ensure the team surpass the aims and objectives regarding delivery, on time and to budget and to the necessary quality, by using their knowledge and skills in the field of construction and financial control. To arrange, the effective 'handover' at completion, so that the resident satisfaction and desired quality is surpassed
- To critically analyse and evaluate performance and financial data on projects, contractors, consultants and the overall capital programme and in turn using the analysed data and your evaluation of the data to manage contractors and consultants performance against agreed targets. Challenging data where appropriate.
- To manage the Fire Safety team such that the council complies with its legal obligations with regard to all prevailing legislation. To ensure compliance with the councils obligations under The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and all relevant building regulations.
- To manage the Fire Safety team such that the council complies with its obligations under the Leasehold and Commonhold Reform Act 2002 and that all relevant costs can be charged to and recovered from leaseholders.
- To attend meetings on behalf of the Council and report to senior managers and other staff, residents' bodies or Newham Council on issues related to the Housing Capital Programme or schemes within it.
- To be accountable for ensuring that the Client's role and duties in relation to CDM are compliant and to ensure contractors are competent to carry out their Health & Safety responsibilities under CDM and other H&S legislation.
- To consult and liaise positively with tenants, tenants' organisations, housing management staff, consultants and other stakeholders as required and directed in relation into all stages of capital and revenue schemes.
- To liaise at a senior level with other officers of Newham Council, Members, MPs, residents' representatives, statutory agencies, public/private utilities, contractors, consultants and building components' manufacturers and to ensure that all necessary planning and building control applications are made and decisions complied with.
- To investigate complaints against contractors or partners, deal with contractual disputes and where necessary refer to arbitration or litigation. To deal with correspondence and investigate complaints associated with technical matters, including providing reports and responses to Ombudsman enquiries within targets.