£75 - £85 per day
about 2 months ago
PMLD Teaching Assistant, Croydon
Have you got a background in care or special needs education?
Are you trained to support children or adults with physical needs?
We are currently recruiting for a PMLD Teaching Assistant for a special needs school in Croydon, Starting ASAP on a full time & long term basis with the potential to turn permanent after 12 weeks for the right person. Monday to Friday 8:30am-3:30pm each day.
Pay: £75- £85 Per Day
To join us and be successful in this PMLD Teaching Assistant / school based Support Worker role, you will need to:
* have some experience supporting children or adults with special needs.
* have an enhanced DBS certificate ,
* Have the legal right to work in the UK.
About the role You will mostly be working on 1:1 basis with a KS1 and KS2 pupils with Profound & Multiple Learning Difficulties, PMLD although you will be required to support on a whole class basis as well.
The young person uses a wheelchair and hoist to get around so you will need prior experience of using this equipment. Their needs including physical, emotional, sensory and communication difficulties. Speech & Language is limited and will need some work in order to help them progress and become more communicative using a variety of different methods.
They are learning at very low levels which involves a bespoke curriculum to support them in engaging with the world around them in a more deep & diverse way with the aim of improving their quality of life.
The new PMLD Teaching Assistant will need to engage them in varied activities that are pitched at their level while supporting the class teacher in the delivery of more formal lessons. People from care backgrounds as well as education backgrounds will be considered.
About the school:
* Special Needs school for young people with Autism, Profound & Multiple Learning Difficulties (PMLD), SLD, Complex Needs and Speech & Language Communication Needs.
* The school focuses on being inclusive, nurturing each individual, making sure learning is fun and challenging, working as a team to provide holistic education & care and celebrating successes.
* Highly bespoke and tailored curriculum that is designed around separate pathways for young people learning at similar levels rather than age. About the pupils:
* All pupils are aged 7-19 and have an EHCP for SEN with the majority having Autism, SLD, Complex Needs or PMLD.
* Many have significant physical needs and use wheelchairs and hoists.
* Pupils need support managing emotions, processing and understanding work and interaction with peers.
* Many have Speech & Language needs and use PECS or Makaton to communicate.
If you are interested in this role please apply to this role or contact Carly Walters on, 0208 418 1390